Who else HATES running?
If you were to ask to me this question 6 months ago, I would’ve been the first to raise my hand. Running sucks. Those “Mile Run” days at school were my literal nightmares growing up.
But deep down, I’ve always wanted to like running. I’ve always wanted to be that “Running Girl” that felt refreshed and euphoric after my morning jog. Talk about #goals! But man was that tough. Between the heavy panting, the leg cramping and my tomato red face at the end…I was like, “No way, Jose.” Running was just not for me.
BUT GUESS WHAT?!
I’m becoming THAT girl! Let’s be real. I’m not running marathons over here. But I do have to admit, I’m now slightly addicted to running. So much so, that I need to include it in my workouts 2-3 times a week to feel at my best. I’ve even gotten to a point in my running where I zone out and reach a somewhat meditative state (“somewhat” being the key word here…again, I’m no marathon runner and this isn’t how I feel during every run. But it’s major progress for a non-runner like me.)
So how exactly did I become one of the “them”? I had a trainer at the palm of my hands…literally.
Let me introduce you to my new favorite workout app, Aaptiv.
Product: Aaptiv fitness app
Workouts Offered: Unlimited access to hundreds of classes ranging from outdoor walking and running, indoor cycling, elliptical, treadmill, strength training, stretching, and yoga (with 150+ new classes each month).
Price: $9.99 per month (includes 7-day free trial)
Time Used: 4 months
Perks: Wallet Friendly | Indoor & Outdoor Workouts | 24/7 Accessibility | Unlimited Class Downloads
Alright, so how does this little app make someone like a me an avid runner?
Two things: awesome trainers and fun classes.
I started using Aaptiv back in February when found myself becoming frustrated with my gym routine. I was loving my TIU workouts, but when it came to machine cardio, I was stumped. Another day, another boring treadmill run. YAWN!
As per usual, social media sensed my frustration and introduced me to Aaptiv – an app dedicated to helping people love cardio again. Hello! That’s me! So I decided to give it a try to see if it would really make a difference (or at least bring some excitement to my dreary winter fitness routine.)
Aaptiv is extremely easy to use…
- Pick the type of workout you’re in the mood for that day (outdoor running, treadmill, cycling, elliptical, etc.)
- Scroll through the class options within that category
- Read the class descriptions (length, trainer and summary of what you’re about to get yourself into)
- Pick your poison, download the class and GO!
You literally have hundreds of options to choose from! Warm, sunny day? Pick an outdoor run, download it to your phone and get your booty out there! Not a “Running Girl” kinda day? Sweat it out on the stairclimber or zen out with a yoga workout. I’ve only tried one of the yoga classes, but Sam really enjoys them! She likes that they’re easy to follow along for us newbies because they do a great job of explaining each and every move so you never feel overwhelmed and confused…#grateful.
After my free trial was up, I knew I was hooked. Having a trainer in my ear telling me what to do and motivating me through my workout was pure gold.
So far, I’ve completed 56 classes – the bulk of these being treadmill runs. But with summer finally upon us, I’m making it my goal to improve my outdoor running skills. Woop!
My all-time favorite trainer is Meghan Takacs (@meg_takacs). She is the real reason behind my newfound love for running. Her classes are extremely educational, she picks AWESOME music and knows exactly how to push you to your limits. Thanks to her, I’ve learned how to run with proper form and am no longer afraid of the 45-50 minute running classes. #ComeAtMe
Two possible cons:
- You can’t listen to your own music.
- It’s yet another monthly subscription you need to add to your list of expenses.
So my thoughts on that are…
- I thought I was going to hate the fact that I couldn’t pick my own music. But I honestly really like the majority of what I’ve heard! Many times, you can get an idea of what you’ll be listening to by reading the class name or description (“Pop Royalty Run” will likely be fun top 40s hits, for example.) I’ve only had to switch classes once because I didn’t like the music. Country music on the stairmill was not doing it for me.
- When you think about it, spending $9.99/month on this app is pennies compared to the hundreds people spend for premium workout classes (I’m talking to you SoulCyclers!) Save yourself a few bucks a download this app.
I think we can all agree that going from being a running hater to a running lover was the big Aha! Moment here.
My new nightly routine before bed goes a little something like this: 1) Check the TIU daily workout page and 2) Download an Aaptiv cardio class that fits the TIU schedule. It’s something I look forward to every night! And not only that, but I now find myself actually wanting to run and have actually set new goals for myself to become a better runner. Who have I become?!
Aaptiv pushed me to grow into my own version of the “Running Girl” I never thought I could be, so for that I give this app the CO Stamp of Approval!
Are any of your Aaptiv lovers? If so, comment below and let me know what your favorite classes have been so far!